Training For Professionals And Parents
The Communication and Interaction Specialist Teachers for Sevenoaks deliver a variety of training sessions and Drop-Ins for teaching staff, professionals and parents including:
- Makaton Training for Parents and Professionals. A range of Makaton courses are run by Gemma Elliott who is an accredited Regional Makaton Trainer. These courses are always popular and enjoyable.
Happy, friendly and supportive delivery of the course helped us to feel comfortable...The best course I have been on for many a year.
- Language for Learning for SENCOs and Teachers. A range of Language for Learning courses are run for teachers and SENCOs across Kent, some within the North Kent Area. The courses are delivered jointly by a Specialist Teacher and a Speech and Language Therapist. There are separate courses for Foundation Stage, Key Stage 1 and 2 or Key Stage 3 and 4 and for SENCOs.
Great training packed with very useful strategies.
- SPELL Autism Framework for Professionals Training. SPELL training created by the National Autistic Society is a framework for understanding and responding to the needs of children and adults on the autism spectrum, developed through evidence-based practice. It focuses on five principles that have been identified as vital elements of best practice in autism and emphasises ways of how to change the environment and our approaches, to meet the specific needs of autistic children and adults. This course is ideal for anyone working with autistic children or adults who are looking to develop their understanding of best practice in supporting autistic people using the SPELL approach. A prior understanding of autism is required for this course. It can be offered to schools as bespoke training for the greatest impact within a school but there will also be courses run at Valence.
- Adapting the Curriculum to include learners with SEND. This day course is aimed mainly at Key Stage 2 teachers and school leaders and is delivered by the STLS Team. A mixture of information-giving, time for sharing good practice, reflection and workshops will give teachers greater confidence in planning and adapting whole class lessons to include learners with SEND.
Feeling much more confident that small changes can have a significant impact for these children with SEND and will positively impact other children in the classroom.
- Introduction to ASC Training for Parents. Training is delivered to parents in order that they might better understand their child’s condition and develop strategies to help them.
Thank you! You've probably changed my life. Honestly. Thank you!
- Cygnet Course for Parents. The Cygnet Core Programme is a basic awareness-raising package for parents and/or carers of children and young people with an autistic spectrum condition (ASC). It has been created by children’s charity Barnardo’s. Courses are delivered for parents of children and young people in the Sevenoaks District 2 or 3 times annually by practitioners who have experience of working with children and young people with ASC across the age range and across the spectrum. The course aims to work towards supporting and developing the young person’s communication skills and behaviour. Due to the high level of demand for the course, priority must be given to parents of children or young people who already have a diagnosis.
Most training usually takes place at Valence School and can be booked online
- Bespoke ASC Training in Schools. Bespoke training is delivered to the individual requirements of the school but is usually an introduction to ASC for practitioners in order that they might:
- gain knowledge of the history, pioneers and facts around ASC
- develop knowledge and understanding of difficulties, symptoms and strategies
- further develop their own practice for supporting ASC children with their learning and school experience
Amazing presentation...really inspired by the delivery and presentation.
Bespoke INSET and twilight training sessions are also available for school staff on request. Please complete the Bespoke Training Interest Form and clearly state your requirements. Email the completed form to the STLS Business Support Assistant to make bespoke training arrangements.
We also run courses, specialised training events and conferences from time to time with invited outside speakers. Details can be found on the Sevenoaks STLS Schools Training Calendar.