Training For Professionals
The Cognition and Learning Specialist Teacher for Sevenoaks deliver a variety of training sessions and Drop-Ins for teaching staff and professionals including:
- Dyslexia (Core Training) looks at the current definitions of Dyslexia that are relevant for Kent Schools, the role of schools in identifying and responding to dyslexic pupils and classroom based strategies to support reading, writing and spelling.
Thank you - this will be so useful both professionally and for my own children. Really interesting and inspiring.
- Maths for Struggling Learners (Core Training) explores the characteristics of a specific maths difficulty, the barriers struggling learners face, targeted strategies to support pupils individually and in the classroom.
Very clear & well delivered. Lots of practical advice & activities.
- Phonics Refresher explores the importance of phonological awareness for blending, segmenting & spelling skills and through practical activities enables delegates to feel confident in delivering a phonics session to struggling learners.
From the point of view of someone who is very new to teaching phonics, this course has helped my confidence a lot.
- Colourful Semantics consolidates prior knowledge for those who have attended the Speech and Language Workshop and explores how it can be used to support emerging writers as an alternative to scribing in the classroom. Jointly delivered with a Speech and Language Therapist.
The games and links to the curriculum were brilliant, and useful as a class teacher.
- Adapting the Curriculum to include learners with SEND. This day course is aimed mainly at Key Stage 2 teachers and school leaders and is delivered by the STLS Team. A mixture of information - giving, time for sharing good practice, reflection and workshops will give teachers greater confidence in planning and adapting whole class lessons to support the inclusion of learners with SEND.
It has been so useful to get practical ideas, quick wins and talk to colleagues for support & ideas! Thank you!
Most training usually takes place at Valence School and can be booked online
Bespoke INSET and twilight training sessions are also available for school staff on request. Please complete the Bespoke Training Interest Form and clearly state your requirements. Email the completed form to the STLS Business Support Assistant to make bespoke training arrangements.
We also run courses, specialised training events and conferences from time to time with invited outside speakers. Details can be found on the Sevenoaks STLS Schools Training Calendar.